Get Cookie Inspired
(Family Features) Baking is among the most fun, flavorful holiday traditions - and one that brings family and friends together in the kitchen. In fact, nearly 60 percent of home cooks are expected to bake holiday cookies this year.¹
Whether you're baking gifts for teachers, sweets for a cookie share, or a nibble to enjoy after wrapping gifts, surprise and delight friends and family by taking seasonal favorites and infusing new twists.
"The holidays are marked by cherished baking traditions and enjoying the season's most-loved flavors and treats, like gingerbread men, sugar cookies, peppermint candies and eggnog," says Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. "This season, we've taken a favorite recipe, Peppermint Bark, and added a fun, new take to create holiday-inspired cookie bars. Layer fudgy brownies with smooth peppermint crème, chocolate glaze and candy cane toppings for these delicious Peppermint Bars."
For more holiday baking recipes like Spiced Holiday Sugar Cookies, and White Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies, visit www.McCormick.com.
¹Allrecipes.com Measuring Cup, 2011 Holiday Survey Trends
- 1 package (21 ounces) fudge brownie mix
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 15 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Crushed peppermint candies or candy canes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare brownie mix as directed on package. Spread in greased foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat confectioners' sugar, 7 tablespoons butter, cream and peppermint extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended and smooth. Spread evenly over cooled brownie. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Microwave chocolate and remaining 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter in large microwave bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over top of chilled brownie. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, if desired. Cut into bars.
Makes 36 servings